September 15, 2011

Build on Strengths

At work, do you have an opportunity to do what you do best everyday? 

Anything current written about maximizing that's worth your time should mention Marcus Buckingham (left above). His 1999 book, First, Break All the Rules, still holds water today. Synopsis... Another synopsis. Half a dozen books and dozens of youtube videos that followed have established Marcus as the world's expert on leveraging strengths as the number one method for maximizing on... well, on anything.

According to Marcus' research, the core elements needed to attract, focus and keep the most talented employees on a team can be measured by responses to these 12 statements:
  1. At work, I have the opportunity to do what I do best every day.
  2. I know what is expected of me at work.
  3. I have the materials and equipment I need to do my work.
  4. I have received recognition or praise for doing good work in the last seven days.
  5. My supervisor, or someone at work, cares about me as a person.
  6. Someone at work encourages my development.
  7. My opinions seem to count at work.
  8. The mission of my company makes me feel my job is important.
  9. My co-workers are committed to doing quality work.
  10. I have a best friend at work.
  11. Someone has talked to me about my progress at work in the last six months.
  12. I've had opportunities to learn and grow at work in the last year.
An experiment:
  1. Managers, rate each statement from 1 (Strongly Agree) to 5 (Strongly Disagree) as you think your team(s) would on average. 
  2. Using Google Forms, ask each of your team members to rate them individually - anonymously if you must.
  3. Average the team's ratings in the last row of your spreadsheet.
  4. How did you do?
Discuss...

No comments:

Post a Comment